accessories newborn baby toddler gift set hand-stamped
Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, August 04, 2008

cloth diapers



I love cloth diapers and plan to diaper our kid in them. I was reading an article this morning and it almost made me sick. do you know what is put in disposable diapers?!

"Disposable diapers contain traces of Dioxin, an extremely toxic by-product of the paper-bleaching process. It is a carcinogenic chemical, listed by the EPA as the most toxic of all cancer-linked chemicals. It is banned in most countries, but not the U.S..

Disposable diapers contain traces of Tributyl-tin (TBT). In May 2000 Greenpeace found TBT in Pampers Baby Dry in Germany. TBT is one of the most toxic substances ever made. It harms the immune system and impairs the hormonal system. There is speculation that it could cause boys to become sterile.

Disposable diapers contain sodium polyacrylate, a type of super absorbent polymer (SAP), which becomes a gel-like substance when wet. A similar substance had been used in super-absorbency tampons until the early 1980s when it was revealed that the material increased the risk of toxic shock syndrome. It is interesting to note that studies show employees in factories manufacturing sodium polyacrylate suffer from female organ problems, slow healing wounds, fatigue and weight loss."

the reason I had planned on diapering in cloth was because of the environmental impact. I am so glad I know all these facts now. lately, those to-go containers that restaurants pack your food up in to take home is giving me anxiety. not only do they just end up in a landfill but most of they are made with the #6 plastic. you aren't even supposed to use those! okay, I am off my soapbox!

3 comments:

Fran and Jen said...

I don't know how the U.S. lets them get away with it. I plan to use the fuzzi buns cloth diapers. They are totally cute!

Autumn said...

It's disgusting I know! Health reasons are why we began cloth diapering years ago and keeps us on track even when things get frustrating (like fit, sensitivities, or the stinks).

Autumn Beck
http://allaboutclothdiapers.com

JULIAN & Co. said...

These are great too http://www.gdiapers.com/?gclid=CLGE6fL99ZQCFSgtagodvl3XqA
I used them when Lovebug was a baby, and they really do flush.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones